Euro 500

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Euro 500

A roadtrip to Europe.Happening in September.

Before this time

nuretry

Before this time Empty Before this time

Post  nuretry Tue May 31, 2011 3:12 am

Before this time

The Prayer Book and Homily Society is doing incalculable service ov cnese means at me nreaent momew.cident with those of the religious revivalists who caused such a stir in that University. The first mention in the statutes of a change in the examinations, seems to be in 1768 ; and it was then ordered that they should include both scholarship and philosophy. Before this time, all masters of arts, after the first year of their attainment of their full powers as such, were entitled to give testimonials to any candidate, but from the date of the regulation of 1768. these masters, called " regents,'' were to be divided into several sets of three, of whom the first set examined the first day. the second the second day, and so on. What was comprised under the term philosmma oeiore teat time aoes not seem auite certain, out Tory Burch Sale chiefly, it is conceived, the Ethics of Aristotle and Logic. Nor was it quite clear that in those days, the testimonial given by a regent master of arts always implied philosophical proficiency, but there are sundry tradiiionsto be received of course with cautionabout its having been the custom when a candidate wanted his testimonial, ior mm to asit some m.a. oi nis acauaintance to ft Grooa dinner, and to pay him a certain fee. When we recollect. nowever. tnat uxiortt sent tortn under cne oia svstem such men as Warton, Blackstone, Home, Bradley, and others, there must have been strength somewhere, and systematic erudition working under the pressure of umversitv courses, tnat annearea to tne uninitiated a mass of indefensible forms little less than farcical. All this, too, was accompanied with a pompous affectation far Tory Burch Outlet different from the dignity of true philosophy and sound discipline. So formal are the Oxonians of the last centurv sain to nave oeen. tnat mere is vet in circuJ The words in which the change is announced are. Neque vero m philosophicis solis. intra quos fines stetit angusta supenons soeculi eruditio, verum etiam in philologicis mstituatur examen.lation ft storv or one oi tne neacts 01 .nouses, wno. on being suddenly urged to hasten to a part of his college Tory Burch Flats that Tory Burch Reva Flats had caught ire, is reported to have replied, " 1 cannot possibly go till i have put on my cap. gown, and bands!' At this time, when the quantity of digested knowledge m morais ana metaBiivsics reauirea ror me highest honors, is sufficient to exercise the powers of tne examiners to tne uttermost, no uxiora mm win oe offended by being reminded, that at one period a mere skeleton viva voce examination in three treatises of Aristotle, and a very bare acquaintance, with logic were sufficient for a first class.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:36 pm